Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ten things
1. LeBron James' first buzzer-beating shot tonight at Golden State? He's just ridiculous. This is the year.

2. Why haven't the Browns hired a GM yet?

3. Jon Gruden. Herm Edwards. Both were not unemployed when owner Randy Lerner pulled the trigger on Eric Mangini. Both would have been better choices, in my estimation.

4. Barack Obama is president. I won't get on him too much for a while. He needs time to formulate his ideas. Jumping on every one less than a week in strikes me as counterproductive.

5. I hope the Indians at least call Manny Ramirez.

6. Haven't seen The Wrestler yet, but I want to.

7. I never got Joni Mitchell music.

8. John Anderson's Semonole Wind is still one of my favorite songs.

9. Why do people always forget the first 150 years of this nation when discussing the worst president ever?

10. Favorite TV show right now? Chuck.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:44 AM , Blogger Vince said...

Last week, it sounded like it was a done deal for Kokinis to go to the Browns. Now the Ravens are out of the playoffs, and we haven't heard a peep. That worries me.
I don't think Gruden or Edwards would be better choices. Gruden? His Ohio connections aside, Monte Kiffin was the brains of that outfit in Tampa.

 
At 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gruden alienated his players in Tampa. He won his Super Bowl thanks largely to facing his former team in the big game.

Edwards, I always thought he was better at soundbites than coaching. He just oversaw the worst two-year stretch in Chiefs history.

Having said that, there is not a single head coach or GM hire Randy Lerner could hire who I would totally trust. Lerner doesn't make good hires, and he doesn't lay the groundwork for success well at all. Neither did his father, who blindly followed Carmen Policy. It was very telling that Scott Pioli had one sit-down with Randy Lerner and ran screaming in the other direction.

I'm already seeing a little too much of Butch Davis in Eric Mangini. It wouldn't surprise me to see him alienate the locker room and be roundly despised throughout the organization a year from now. This guy has all the makings of Bill Belichick's ego, minus the superlative coaching talent.

Am I cynical about the Browns? You bet. I wouldn't have trusted Cowher, or Shanahan, or Schottenheimer, or any of the young coordinators out there. Things just end badly for the Browns. They bring out the worst in everyone they hire. Why should Mangini be any different? Lerner sees him as a football genius, and he'll let Mangini run amok.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home