Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's day
St. Patrick's Day has always had more meaning for me in the fictional world.

-The St. Patrick's Day parade in The Fugitive where Harrison Ford (the movie was made in 1993. I think he was just 81 then)escapes Tommy Lee Jones' grasp by joining the Parade.

- The Simpsons' episode where Bart gets drunk and Springfield discovers a long-lost law of prohibition. Two great lines here:

Homer: "Prohibition. They tried that in the movies and it didn't work."

and

Cop after being given a bribe: "I don't know why people are always bad-mouthing the Mafia."

-Then there's Boondock Saints, where a barfight on St. Patrick's Day sets up the whole film.

I'm not really sure if I'm Irish or not. If I am, it's not much. My biggest memory of the day is when I had a horrid migrane in seventh grade and needed to leave school, but my classmates thought I was faking to go to the parade.

I protested my innocence. At least I think I did. This happened 16 years ago and I don't remember much other than my head hurt. Thing is, it was only a year earlier when I HAD skipped on school to go to the Indians' Opening Day.

Priorities.

Anyway, to all my Irish friends, and those who are faking it to escape school and work, be safe. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM , Blogger Vince said...

We were just talking about that scene in "The Fugitive:" If they can dye the Chicago River green for St. Patrick's Day, can't they dye it blue the rest of the year?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home