Sunday, March 14, 2010

Quinn, Wimbley out
When the Browns signed Jake Delhomme Saturday, it was clear that the Brady Quinn era in Cleveland was over.

So when Quinn was traded Sunday, I wasn't surprised.

When linebacker Kamerion Wimbley was dealt that same day, I was surprised.

The Quinn deal was a clear message from Browns boss Mike Holmgren. It was "Brady's not good, and I wasn't in the mood to wait around to see if he'd get good."

I have no problem with that line of thinking.

The Wimbley deal is different. He was one of the few guys who benefitted from Eric Mangini, and had his best season since his outstanding rookie year.

Left to protect his interests, I'm confident Mangini would not have made this deal. But Mangini's not in charge anymore. The trade with the Raiders (for a third-round pick)says what I think we know: Mangini is the head coach but has no power in front office decisions. After 11 years of watching this franchise, I don't know if that's good or bad, since any system, run the right way, can bring success.

But I wouldn't have traded Wimbley.

As for Quinn, his story is that of a new car that came off the assembly line, looking like a great ride, but the shift was stuck in neutral. He never got a real chance, but sometimes that's the way it works in professional sports. He certainly had a better chance to make it than most (how many quarterbacks in NFL camps never start?) I hope he finds success, since he seems like a decent guy. But football is an impatient business. If he doesn't cut it in Denver, he may end up in the UFL.

As a journalist, I see troubling signs in the new regime. As a fan, I keep telling myself Holmgren knows what he's doing.

The fan is winning the argument -- for now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home