Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Michael Crichton dies
About two years ago, a person at work put a book on my desk.

There were no words, no explanation. It was Michael Crichton's State of Fear.

I read the 600-page book in four days. It was fiction, but it was also an attack. An attack on environmentalists, jet-stream liberals and the media.

I couldn't put it down.

After years of T-shirts, public-school inspired fear, rap songs, Al Gore and a NFL pre-show done with the lights off, Crichton said everything I wanted to say. It's something so few have said, but so many more need to.

Global warming is treated like fact. Crichton went after the notion with a fire I have only seen from the brilliant Matt Markey of the Toledo Blade.

I'm not sure about global warming. But I appreciated someone finally taking it on.

Today Michael Crichton died at 66. I never read Jurassic Park, never saw the movie. But I became a huge fan of his for taking on the status quo. His dissenting voice will be missed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home