Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My Casey Blake Argument
Why am I so hard on Casey Blake? At least one reader has been asking quite a bit lately. I emailed Joel, who has been my friend for five years now. I laid out my case, and even though he didn't agree, he suggested I post the email here.
But this is pretty much why I don't like Casey Blake (as a player).

Joel-
I have no idea if your recent comments on the blog are about Blake or something else. Assuming it is about Blake, I have a number of reasons for being hard on him, and I will continue to do so.
I can't help but say that getting ripped for knocking Blake is funny, from someone who once referred, in print, to Warren Sapp as a "bastard."
It's nothing personal against Blake. I don't know him and have never met him. My comments on the blog are skills related, but are also the result of having this average player shoved down my throat by the Indians brass because he's a nice guy. Every fan has players they don't like.
So here is why, point by point.
* In 2007 he is 2-32 with runners in scoring position.Calling him an automatic out in the situation I referred to yesterday is not "absurd." If you hit .063 in that situation, you are damn close to an automatic out. He also has 10 strikeouts in that situation.
*In 2007, runners in scoring position with 2 outs, 1-17 with six strikeouts (.053).
* In 2007, 0-4 with the bases loaded.
OK, 2006, the season all Blake supporters point to.
* Yes, he started hot, but was slumping when he finally did get hurt. He was close to leading the league in hitting in June, then finished at .282. He's, at best, a streak hitter. My thought was the Indians should trade him after last year, because he did have a decent season. Instead, the Indians continued to treat him like a core player, moving other people to make sure the 33 year-old plays.
* And for those who say Blake is just off to a bad start, consider 2005. He finished with a .241 batting average and 23 homers.
Looking inside those numbers, you see that Blake
* hit .191 with runners on base.
* Hit .171 with runners in scoring position
* Hit .085 (5-59) with runners in scoring position and two out.

OK, now why am I harder on him than Roberto Hernandez or Josh Barfield?
When Blake is struggling, the Indians announcers don't speak the obvious, and for the most part, the beat writers don't either. Sheldon Ocker commented if the Indians were to trade for Alex Rodriguez, it would give the Indians a chance to move Blake back to first or to the outfield. My thought was that Blake could be a servicable bench player. But even the media can't see a lineup without Blake.
Blake has started with the Indians since 2003, the first year Eric Wedge was manager. Both graduated from Wichita State. Blake had never seen serious playing time before, but was plugged in at third base and got 152 starts.
He hit .257 and had 17 homers.
But again, he hit .233 with runners in scoring position and .154 with runners in scoring position and two out.
He hit more homers in 2004 (28) and drove in 88 runs. He also hit .271. But he's an average player being presented as a core player. He was signed to a $4 million contract. Yet when he struggled, after the 2005 season, he wondered if his critics had ever picked up a glove at this level.
Well, no Casey, but we also don't make $4 million.
In 2006, the Indians started their own network with their own programming. They produced a documentary. Who was it on? Hafner? Sizemore? C.C. Sabathia?
No. It was on Casey Blake.
He gets promoted more than anyone else on the team. Yes, he's a good team player. But he's not one of the best players.
My prediction is Blake will stay with the Indians as long as Eric Wedge does.
As for Barfield? He's 23 and a gold glove-caliber player. He's in a new league and he's improving. He was a top prospect for the Padres, and I'm confident he'll come around.
As for Hernandez? He's 43. I would be afraid to get his blood pressure up. My mom always taught me it wasn't nice to rip on the elderly.
Marte? He's 23 with a big upside. Even though he has struggled and is on the DL, he's on pace for 90 RBIs.
I am tough on Blake, perhaps more than is needed. But I have ripped on other players before. Not to this level. But then again, I'm lucky if 30 people visit my site. My site is often my vent-spot. When you work all night and get home, you're not always in the best of moods.
So, whatever. I doubt this will change your mind any.
But you won't change mine either.
Hope all is well.
Zach

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home