Saturday, April 28, 2007

After this day in the draft, what I want to write about is ...
The Browns third pick, UNLV cornerback Eric Wright.
It's safe to say this pick is a gamble. In the wake of Pacman Jones and the knowledge that at any moment some Bengal is either getting arrested, in court or on a crime spree, the pick of Wright has to be seen as questionable.
CBS Sportsline's Gregg Doyle said earlier this week, "Which NFL team still values talent over character? We'll see when someone drafts this guy."
Well, Browns GM Phil Savage drafted him. Not only that, he traded quite a few picks to do so. I'm all for giving second chances (sorta), but my concern over Wright comes because the NFL is hardly a place for players to improve their character.
It was said Wright would have been a first round pick if not for his off the field issues.
So what do we have here?
I don't know, but the Browns apparently felt he was worth the risk. People always talk about character on winning teams. But the Browns aren't a winning team, and Savage knows that.
I am trying to think of one guy who came into the NFL with baggage like Wright's and ended up OK.
Right now I'm drawing a blank. Maybe that's because it's late.
But I'm skeptical. With the recent problems of NFL players, you have to be.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home