Sunday, May 06, 2007

Something different
It might be difficult to remember now, but more than three years ago, when I started this blog, I wanted it to be about politics, sports, music and culture.
I may have also had a sentence in there about pro wrestling, but I try to forget that (though I do occasionally go there, just to make sure no one takes me seriously).
If you look back at the early days of this blog though, you won't see anything about it being a spot for Casey Blake hatred.
Yet as I looked at my blog today, I realized that my dislike for skills of the Indians player has started to overwhelm the rest of the content.
So in an attempt to balance it out, here's some non-Blake nuggets:

Strip Clubs
No matter what you hear, I am not a strip club guy. I did, in my college years, go a few times, but they are honestly not really for me.
That said, I have a real problem with the legislation going through my beloved state to close strip clubs at midnight and keep dancers six feet away from patrons.
No one is forced to go to a strip club, and women are not forced to work there. If it's not your thing, you don't have to go.
What I am against is people making that decision for others. We have real problems in this country, and in this world.
Keeping adults from getting lapdances is not a blow for decency. It's force-feeding one's values on another.
We have more important things to do.

The French elect a Conservative?
The "out of my depth" meter is beeping here. Still, I am encouraged by the following from France's President-Elect Nicolas Sarkozy:
Sarkozy added that he wanted to tell his "American friends that they can rely on our friendship ... France will always be next to them when they need us."

Yankees bring statue out of retirement
Let me see if I have this right:
Roger Clemens will be 45 before the end of this baseball season.
Roger Clemens will not pitch an entire baseball season.
Roger Clemens could make $28 million this year.
If I think about this long enough, my head will hurt. I'm not sure what Clemens will bring New York. He certainly can't fix the bullpen.
But here's the main problem: Clemens has to help New York win the World Series. If he doesn't, the money is wasted.
And what happens if Clemens performs like every other 45-year old pitcher in history? What if he gets shelled? What if he can't be Roger Clemens anymore?
Clemens made an announcement from the Owner's Box. He was treated like a hero.
But no hero is immortal. John Wayne couldn't make movies forever. Michael Jordan's final run with the Wizards didn't create magic. Clemens may have rode in like the Lone Ranger, but there's no guarantee he'll gallup off into the sunset.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home