Monday, March 22, 2004

Andy Rooney and 60 minutes
I only caught the last ten minutes of 60 Minutes last night, and caught an editorial on gay marriage by Andy Rooney.
Basically, I thought his commentary to be right on the money.
I have pretty much believed that gays should have the right to civil unions, if not marriage itself. Until someone convinces me that certain people are not born homosexual, I see no reason to think otherwise.
But my main objection to President Bush's stance is his use of the phrase "protecting the sanctity of marriage." To me, the sanctity has been tarnished, if not damaged beyond repair, by heterosexual couples.
We live in a world of "Cupid," "Who wants to Marry a multi-Millionaire," and "The Batchelor." We live in a world where Brittany Spears gets married for eight minutes in Las Vegas and then gets it annulled.
Most importantly, statistics show that up to 60 percent of all marriages end in divorce.
I guess my thought process is that gays couldn't mess up the institution of marriage anymore that certain straights have. I'm not saying that couples shouldn't get divorced. I'm just saying that marriage is different today than it was 50 years ago, for better or worse, and that I don't have a problem with gays entering into it.
Just my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home