Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sen. Max Baucus' argument
Some are suggesting the senator is drunk in this video. I don't know. But he was certainly ranting and making the argument about the need for bipartisanship. That Republicans got scared and saw a chance to gain by opposing health care.

This is a rather ridiculous argument, because it makes the mistake of thinking that "reform" is about something more than itself. President Obama and his friends in congress wanted a public option. Republicans would not support a public option.

As a libertarian on spending, not only was I against the various healthcare proposals, but I wouldn't have voted for any congressman who supported any of them.

But Democrats have the edge in congress right now, so they could pass something liberal. Those on the left of the party wouldn't have tolerated less.

So it's the Republicans fault? Believe me, I have not been happy with Republicans for a while, and see myself as more of a libertarian now than anything else. But anyone who ran as a Republican couldn't support the health care plan and still be a Republican.

The Republican party is supposed to be one of small government. The members of congress who voted against the bill did the right thing, in my view.

Was Baucus drunk? I don't know.

http://www.inquisitr.com/54123/max-baucus-drunk-video/

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM , Blogger Vince said...

The Republican Party is supposed to be the party of small government, but over the past 40 years, they have been anything but. Every Republican candidate pledges to make government smaller and rein in spending. But Republican Presidents expand the role of government and thus expand government spending, while having more faith in tax cuts as a panacaea than a martyr has in Christ. So what we get stuck with is a bigger government and a bigger deficit.
And now people are worried about it.

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
I am The assistant editor with disease.com. I really liked your site and I am interested in building a relationship with your site. We want to spread public awareness. I hope you can help me out. Your site is a very useful resource.

Please email me back with your URl in subject line to take a step ahead an to avoid spam.

Thank you,
Lisa Hope
lisa.disease.com@gmail.com

 
At 12:09 PM , Blogger Zach said...

Somehow Vince, I knew you'd respond.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home