Friday, January 18, 2008

Shuffling the Ipod
Five songs at random. Here we go.
1. Sunset Woman -B.W Stevenson
I picked this album off Amazon when I first got out of college. Mostly independent, my first order was to get the original "My Maria" on CD. What happened was discovering a wonderful artist who died young but in a rather short career put out some stunning music. Stevenson had a passionate voice, and an ability to mix country and rock to perfection. When I hear this album, I am reminded of my early days as a rookie reporter in somewhat rural Ohio.

2. King Harvest has Surely Come (Alternate Performance)-- The Band
It was my brother who introduced me to The Band. I can only imagine it was his fiancee that introduced them to him. King Harvest is, itself a brilliant performance, but this alternate take is a bit more raw, complete with a bit of a jam leading into it. Richard Manuel influenced a number of singers with his raw voice. Seriously, if you listen to Eric Clapton, you get the feeling he's trying to emulate Manuel's voice. Clapton does an OK job of it, but the genuine article is worth listening to. Sadly, Manuel committed suicide in 1986. In fact, there are only three remaining band members. "I think we're warmed up," says what sounds like Levon Helm at the end of the recording.

3. Jumpin' Jack Flash -- The Rolling Stones
It is probably a safe bet that if you don't like this song, or don't at least appreciate it, you don't like rock and roll. A great lead guitar, bass line and gritty sound. This song is one of many where the Stones are performing at their peak. I personally believe it to be one of Mick Jaggar's best vocal recordings. Certainly a rock anthem that resonates with me, and I was born 12 years after the song's release.

4. China Girl --David Bowie
Let's just say this is not one of my favorite Bowie songs. He has such a great voice, but it almost seems as if he sometimes undersings. I could be wrong about this, but for much of the track, he sounds like he cares more about the style than singing his best. Of course, he tests his range later in the song, which is more to my liking. I love Bowie's music for the most part, but this is one song I don't really care for. I've never heard Iggy Pop's version, which someone once told me was better. Either way, I doubt Bowie cares what I think.

5. There Never was a Train -- Clint Black
If there's one singer I wish I could sing like (saving perhaps the late Roy Orbison), Black would be my pick. This song has a pleasant sound to it, but isn't exactly memorable. That's not a bad thing, since Black's voice is usually meant to ache or break the heart. I stopped listening to modern country when I was about 13, but Black's music continues to be an influence to me, whether I'm playing, singing or just pretending I haven't completely abandoned my artistic side.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home