Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Shuffling the Ipod
Five songs at random. And away we go ...
Tea for the Tillerman--Cat Stevens
One of the Cat's most powerful songs, crammed into just over a minute. This song has found new life on Extras. It's too short, though.

Tears in Heaven -- Eric Clapton
This is the original studio recording, which is not quite as good as the unplugged version that was released later. I assume most readers know the story behind this song, and it is without question the most powerful and likely personal ones Clapton ever wrote. And that covers some ground. It's a song about looking for answers when you know you won't find them. And everyone has been through a period like that at some point in their life.
Beyond the door, there's peace I'm sure, and they'll be no more tears in heaven.
The song is moving even now, some 15 years later. That's a credit to how good a songwriter and performer Clapton really is.

There's a Party at My House-- Randy Newman
This is from the Trouble in Paradise record, which I only downloaded because I was going to Los Angeles and wanted I Love LA to listen to. As for this track, it's got some raunchy lyrics and a hummable tune. It's not even scratching the surface of what Newman is as a writer, but maybe that's the point.

Jackie Blue--The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Dark and yet catchy, this song is not one of the best of the 1970s, but it's pretty darn good. The guitar work is strong, and pushes along at a moderate pace. I only have this because it was on a 70s compilation, but I am glad I do. Somehow I don't think I'd ever get around to buying an Ozark Mountain Daredevils album. Good, good song though.

Jackie Wilson Said-- Van Morrison
On my way to a wedding, my brother and I were listening to this song, and he commented on how a lot of Van's vocal work resembled Wilson's. I'd never thought about it before, but it was very true. This song could be viewed as a tribute of sorts, but it's a terrific song. Then again, it's Van.
One other story about this song came from about two years ago, when the Heidelberg running back coach at the time insisted on interviewing me, just for fun. He asked me what my favorite song, and I said it was Van Morrison's Caravan. He then yelled over to another coach:
"Hey, play some Van Morrison!"
Jackie Wilson Said came on. So now when I hear the song, that's what I think of.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home