Friday, September 29, 2006

Weighing in on Whitlock/ESPN
Yeah, this is relatively late, but it's still relevant.
Jason Whitlock has annoyed and frustrated me at times, but if he was let go at ESPN specifically because of comments he made about Scoop Jackson and Mike Lupica and the network in general, then that's a problem.
I have banged out quite a few columns about ESPN in recent years, dating back to three years ago in college. At that time, I wrote that I didn't like the direction ESPN was heading in, producing its own movies and own television shows and then having them intersect at times with actual sports programming.
Since then, I've complained about ESPN's self-importance, it's ridiculous "see-me" Sports Center anchors, and its loud presentation.
My prediction: I will never work for ESPN.
That's a shame, because it used to be a goal of mine to work for "The world wide leader in sports." It was while watching a football game on the network in 1992 that I told my dad I wanted to go into sports journalism.
Which brings me to Whitlock.
The Ball State graduate took some shots earlier this week, and (he says) as a result he will no longer be appearing on the network.
As Whitlock said in a recent column:
I wasn’t surprised. ESPN, a terrific network, has always been hypersensitive to criticism, especially when it comes from its independent-contract employees. Over the six years I’ve worked for ESPN, I’ve received complaining phone calls from its executives almost every time I’ve written a critical word about the network.
I would argue criticism, and criticism from within, are powerful tools that make a network stronger. ESPN only gained points with me when it brought in George Solomon, and his columns are a highlight of each month.
ESPN has a right to only keep on loyal and pro-company reporters and columnists. But when things go bad (as they have more and more), a network needs someone to keep it in check.
Doing so would be important for a world wide leader.

2 Comments:

At 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no problem with ESPN wanting to go down the movie/game show route, but perhaps those belong on a separate ESPN network.

What I do have a problem with is ESPN not only making themselves part of the stories they cover, but almost making themselves bigger. Like it wouldn't even be news if ESPN didn't decide it was news.

I would love to see a rival network rise up and start stealing some of ESPN's thunder. ESPN needs a dose of humility to get their noses back to the grindstone instead of stuck in front of a mirror preening.

Right now, other sports networks (i.e. Fox Sports or NFL Network) are too small or compartmentalized to make a run at ESPN. What I would like to see is for Fox to ditch its regional sports network concept and go for one giant national network that would combine all of its resources. A true national Fox Sports network could threaten ESPN's standing as "The Worldwide Leader"

 
At 4:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach, did you read Whitlock's comments about Lupica and Jackson? While they were unprofessional I found them to be almost dead on. Lupica does seem like a mean spirited little man, and I'm sure he is difficult to work with. As for Scoop Jackson, "Scoop is a clown. And the publishing of his fake ghetto posturing is an insult to black intelligence, and it interferes with intelligent discussion of important racial issues." I never enjoyed reading Scoop's articles, and one of the reasons is that "ghetto posturing" that he uses in his writing. I agree with Whitlock and think it is unnecessary and dumbing down true journalism. Hope all is well.

your bro

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home