Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hitch, Part III
Here's an interesting debate on the Iraq War involving several different people with several different viewpoints.
To write about my support of the President and the support of the war will no doubt cross lines with some people, so sometimes I try avoiding the topic. I am not fighting in Iraq, and further, I am no military expert.
But I still think overthrowing Saddam was the right thing. Christopher Hitchens, certainly no right winger or friend to most Reagan-friendly Bush supporters, continues to make some of the best cases for the mission.
Dennis Miller once called Hitchens "The Mark McGwire of skeptics ... He makes me look like a cheerleader."
Yet, in the said debate, Hitchens had this to say about Iraq:
More than that I think Iraq will be remarkable. We’re going to live to see great things. We already have in Lebanon. We’re about to I think in Egypt, with the reopening of the Egyptian democracy. The Ba’ath party in Syria in my judgement will not be there in two years time And there will be extraordinary, are already extraordinary developments in Iran which I have just come back from. And so the essential point of the Blair-Bush policy, which is to change the balance of power in the Middle East, that has already been conclusively vindicated.
I agree, despite the enormous cost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home