Sunday, February 27, 2005

The Oscars
Chris Rock bashes Bush one minute, then thanks the troops for "fighting for freedom". There wouldn't be freedom in two countries, and wouldn't be reform in Egypt right now, without George W. Bush.
I still love Chris Rock, though.

Halle Berry is beautiful
Renee Zellweger needs a sandwich. I liked her better when she was normal looking. Lowell Mather was nominated for an Oscar? I bet he won't win. Here it comes and ... Morgan Freeman wins best supporting actor. He's great, but I was pulling for Thomas Haden Church, just based on being an old Wings fan.
Thomas looked like he couldn't believe he was there. He also took the loss to Freeman like he knew it was coming

Robin
I would pay to see Williams, one of the funniest people alive, host the Oscars. But he won't, because he would offend EVERYONE. He's hilarious tonight, as he usually is. No commentary for best animation, since I just don't care. The Incredibles win. Curtis A. said it was funny.

Makeup
The award should go to whoever makes Harrison Ford look middle aged. They didn't get it. They weren't even nominated. A true crime.

Drew
She's at the Oscars? Why? Was Tiffany Theissen not available? Here's Beyonce. I saw her get punk'd last night on MTV. Somehow I bet that will be more entertaining than the song she is singing. If there was ever a time to be happy for DVR, this is it, as I FFWD right through it, thanks to missing the first five minutes and going back to check out Church's reaction to losing.

Rocking
Chris Rock is doing an amazing skit about regular people not seeing the nominated movies. Martin Lawrence might have just had the line of the night. Most young people probably have no idea that Albert Brooks is anything other than a "normal person."

Johannson

Sci-tech awards? I rewind an re-watch the Rock sketch.

Pierce Brosnan
He sounds like he's been screaming at a wrestling tournament all weekend. A lame segment, messed up anyway because James Bond was coughing through the whole thing.

Robbins
"When he's not amazing us with his performances, he's boring us to death with his politics."--Chris Rock, on Robbins, who IS a great actor.

Best supporting Actress
Kate Blanchett wins. I think she's a terrific actress, although I have seen practically none of her movies, other than The Gift. I think Curtis A. saw The Aviator and liked it.

OK, time for a break from this ...

And We're Back
So that's what Jeremy Irons looks like. His joke about movies being too long is well-taken. I went to see Meet the Fockers last night, and it just kept GOING. Cinemetogrophers get recognized, and I recognize my fast forwarding. Although lets see if Passion wins ... No.

Penelope Cruz and Salma Heyak
I love you two. OK, FFWD time.

Antonio Bandaras Singing
Oh, THIS ought to be good. I'm not sure if he's a better singer than an actor, and that's not a compliment in either case.

Natalie Portman Presents
"And I applaud them ..." I am sure they are grateful. And do actresses just look for ways to show cleavage in an almost dirty way? What's wrong with a normal dress?

Another Rock line
"Oprah Winfrey is here. She's so rich that I saw John Kerry proposing to her an hour ago."
See, I told you I like Rock. This makes up for the Bush bashing earlier on. Congrats to Chris for bi-partisan bashing.

Travolta
... still rules.

Scorsese
The best living American director looks like Harry Carey with those black rims. I love just about every Scorsese film I have seen.

Remembering the past
Marlon Brando gets more applause than Ronald Reagan. My biggest problem with the memoriam is the applause, because only "known" actors get lots of applause. Does it matter now that they're gone? Why can't there be no applause, and no distinction between people in death?
Still, Hollywood DID applaud for Reagan, so that's something.

Puffy
Combs is at the Oscars. Even he seems to be wondering what he's doing there. Josh Grobin sings, and that's an AUTOMATIC FFWD. And here's Prince. I love Prince, and he looks about as subdued as I have ever seen him.

Who's Jude Law?
For god sake, get a sense of humor Sean Penn. They wonder why Hollywood is out of touch, and it's because they take themselves so seriously. Sean just ends up coming off like an ass, which is not a new thing for him. Hilary Swank wins. She's a good actress.
"I'm just a girl from a trailer park with a dream."
Well, that's a new take on an acceptance speech. I think the speech may still be going on, actually.

Rock
"Sean Penn, my accountants would like a word with you." Good, shut the self righteous one up.

Samuel L.
Continues to just ooze cool.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Nick Weber, my long time friend, tells me I would like this movie. As it is, it won for ... something. The guy that won was pretty funny and modest actually.

Best Actor
I hope Jamie Foxx wins. He did. Yes. Ray Charles is smiling somewhere. Nice, classy speech by Foxx.
"I see Oprah, I see Halle, I just want to say your names."
Also a nice moment with him and his daughter and his grandmother.

Best Director
Scorsese doesn't win again. Simply amazing. Eastwood thanks Dick Goddard. HUH? Cleveland's Dick Goddard? Probably not.

Best Picture
Streisand. Oh boy. She and Hoffman. I actually would give Meet the Fockers ** 1/2 stars, in case you're wondering. Once again, Barbara makes it all about her. Just amazing. Clint and Million Dollar Baby win again. Maybe I should see this movie.
Clint is the MAN, by the way. He's not a good actor, but he's the man.
And we're out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home