Friday, March 05, 2004

NOTE TO BUSH: I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOWARD STERN
I was talking to an old friend today, who has been listening to Howard Stern. Basically, Howard is convinced he will be pulled off the air by the Christian right, and the Clear Channel decision to pull him will only continue.
Now, being the type of "South Park Republican" that I tend to be, I want to make this clear: We have problems in this country, but Howard Stern is not one of them. As a journalist, I have always respected his ability to ask the questions to celebrities that everyone wants to know. I don't always approve of Howard's content, but his overall message to a wannabe musician struck a chord with me.
The musician was complaining that music was political, and that you had to know someone to make it big. Howard responded that the argument is a self-fulfilling prophecy, and that when he went to New York, he knew no one, but still made it because he worked hard.
That's exactly the type of message that a conservative should stand for.
This applies to parents too: If you want to raise your kids the right way, YOU have to be the one to check on them and make sure that they are not exposed to the things you object to. Don't look to the media to protect you. That is not our job.
Bush is treading a strange line with me. I have supported his assertiveness in the war on terror, but his support of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage strikes me as overuse of national government.
Gay marriage doesn't bother me. Howard Stern doesn't bother me. I am an Eisenhower conservative: I don't care what you do as long as you don't hurt anyone else.
Howard Stern is not the problem. I had great, caring parents, and that is why I think I ended up okay. (Some may disagree).
Oh, and please Mr. President, find a better vice presidential candidate! Dick Cheaney is not inspiring to anyone, and scares the heck out of social moderates like myself. He won't run in 2008, and the Republicans NEED to start prepping a candidate to defeat Senator Clinton.
As much as I don't like John Kerry, I could be compelled to vote for him if I become convinced that another four years of Bush would mean four years of Hillary.
That's a scarier thought than any way that you can frame "President Kerry."
I'm still with you Mr. President, but you are troubling me as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home