Sunday, June 10, 2007

Cavs making me sick
Well, not really. The Cavaliers are in the NBA Finals, so I am happy about that. But the Spurs appear to be on another level.
I haven't posted in a few days because I caught a virus Wednesday and have spent much of the time since then in bed, or making the people around me miserable -- in more ways than one.
I'm pretty sure I've already passed on the virus to someone at work.
Anyway, today I finally felt well enough to make a post. and the Cavs play just horrible in Game 2.
I don't want to be negative or positive about this. The Cavaliers have given the fans of Cleveland a great season, and a great month.
But allowing ourselves to fall into the "proud to be second" mindset only adds to Cleveland's inferiority complex.
As my father said to me when the Indians lost the World Series to the Braves in 1995: "When you get there, you have to win it."
I didn't really get it then, but I do now.
In 1995, there was this idea the Indians would be back -- and they were. They came close -- closer, in fact -- to a World Series title in 1997.
But they didn't win it then either. Nor did they in the next five years, when they made four playoff appearances.
LeBron James is awesome. But the window won't be open forever. There will be new challenges in coming years, so a return to the finals is not guaranteed.
When the series comes to Cleveland Tuesday, the Cavaliers need to represent themselves, the Eastern Conference, and the city well. They haven't done that on the court in the first two games.
Being down 0-2 is tough, but a comeback can happen. Being there is one thing; winning it is another.
Winning it is much better.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

zqwrpegcNobody in Cleveland is proud to just be in the Finals. When you get your rear end handed to you the way the Cavs have in the first two games, it doesn't feel good. Most people around me appear to be moping pretty badly when it comes to the Cavs.

However, we saw what happened with the Tribe in the '90s. 1995 became '96 became '97 became '98, and still no championship. Before you knew it, seven years had passed and the team was being rebuilt.

I really don't want the Cavs to go down that road. I don't want the fans to go down that road, because from personal experience, I got so focused on that elusive title with the Indians that I almost felt like I missed out on enjoying that run of great baseball.

LeBron's presence in a Cavs uniform is to be enjoyed. But he needs to win titles in order to truly have his greatness recognized. But that's up to LeBron and his team to accomplish. All we can really do is go along for the ride. If the Cavs continue to play this level of defense, and can maybe add a PG who can actually run an offense, I don't think this will be the last Finals appearance of the LeBron era. But there, of course, are no guarantees.

My message to Cleveland fans: Hunger for that title, yes, but make sure you enjoy the ride, regardless of the outcome. Times like these don't come along very often in this town.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home