Saturday, June 02, 2007

Going to the finals
I don't have the words right now. All I can think is that this is for Austin Carr, for Nate Thurmond, for Jim Chones.
This is for World B. Free.
This is for Brad Daugherty, Mark Price, Lenny Wilkens and Craig Ehlo.
This is even for Ron Harper, who as a Pistons' assistant, had to have just a few mixed emotions, even if he'll never admit it.
This is for Danny Ferry (duh). This is for Terrell Brandon, the late Bobby Phills, and Tyrone Hill.
But most of all, this is for Joe Tait. Driving back from Columbus, I switched my ESPN Radio feed to a static-filled WTAM. Tait sounded really happy. Like Herb Score with the Indians, Tait has been through a lot with the Cavaliers, and lived to tell the rest of us.
LeBron James saved the franchise, but Tait allowed it to be saved.
Four more wins, and the weight is off. Still, let's enjoy this one. Who knows when it will happen again.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

More thoughts to come on my blog, but I almost broke down when ESPN re-played Joe Tait's WTAM call over the final seconds of the game.

Save for the two years Ted Stepien ran him out of town, Tait has been there since the get-go in 1970. He's 70, he's not going to call Cavs games forever, and he is a legend. If he was the voice of a big-market team, he'd be spoken of in the same breath with Chick Hearn and Johnny Most. Now, maybe he will.

I've said for years I wanted Tait to be able to call NBA Finals games before he hangs up the microphone. Now it's going to happen.

By the way, how can anyone feel any weight right now? I know we don't truly get off the shnide until a Cleveland team wins a world championship, But I'm beyond giddy at the moment. I'll worry about beating the Spurs later in the week.

(And I believe it can happen.)

 
At 8:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This win is for Casey Coleman, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home