Saturday, February 03, 2007

Super Bowl
Picking the Super Bowl has never really been my thing. Maybe it's because the game always feels like an afterthought in the middle of all the hype, commercials and woredrobe malfunctions.
However, I did submit a pick to my friend Matt Sussman at Blogcritics. I can't say I put a whole lot of thought into it. But I have seen the Bears and Colts play numerous times during the season, so based on that, I decided the Colts were the better team.
Ringing endorsement, no?
OK, let's break it down then:
Offense: I could go position by position, but what's the point? Everyone knows that statistically, the Colts are the more polished product. Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison and a solid offensive line have given Indianapolis all the support it needs on that side of the ball.
The question is whether the Bears offense can score points. Not for themselves; we know that's a struggle. The question is whether the Bears, and specifically Rex Grossman, can avoid turning the ball over.
I'll make a prediction now: If Chicago doesn't commit any turnovers, it will win.
I took the Colts because I think Grossman will hurt the Bears.
Defense: The Bears have a better defense on paper, although the Colts had a decent run through the first two games of the postseason.
The Bears' strength this season has been creating turnovers. If they can rattle Manning early (Brian Urlacher and company have a way of doing that), they may be able to build an early lead, and then put the pressure on.
The other key to this game will be ball control. For much of the season, the Colts' run defense was poor. If Thomas Jones can explot that defense, and the Bears don't have to rely on Grossman to win the game, I think the Bears have a chance to take it.
But honestly, I like the Colts because I think top to bottom, they are better. Much like how the AFC is stronger than the NFC.
The Colts were 3-1 in interleague games this year. The Bears had three losses all season, two of which came against AFC teams. Chicago lost to New England, which the Colts knocked off two weeks ago.
In their other loss, the Bears were beaten soundly by a mediocre Dolphins team. At home.
If the competition is tougher in the AFC, there's reason to believe the Colts are tougher than the Bears.
Again, I could be way off on this. But I stand by the Blogcritics pick.
Colts 28, Bears 19

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home