Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dakich should go
This is not a column I want to write.
Dan Dakich was Bowling Green's men's basketball coach when I arrived at Bowling Green in the fall of 1999, and was there when I left in 2003.
In the years that have followed my graduation, Dakich has had highs and lows. But last season was a disaster, and this season is no different.
Dakich's best season was probably in my freshman year, when the Falcons won the MAC in the regular season, only to be bounced by Miami in the tournament.
They have never made the NCAA Tournament under Dakich, and in recent years, there has been some cause for alarm. Forgiving the coach's disappearing/reappearing act in the spring of 2002, he has had some issues with players.
Everyone remember Ron Lewis?
Then there was Buffalo this week. My friend Matt Sussman recapped it:

With time running out, Buffalo’s desperation shot sailed wide and out of bounds. The buzzer sounded, with the scoreboard reading Bowling Green 77, Buffalo 75. The Falcons retreat to the locker room.
But wait, folks!
The referees examine the clock via instant replay. Apparently there should be 0.6 second still on the clock.
BG is still in the locker room.
The Bulls are still on the court, as are the refs. One of the refs enters the tunnel that leads to the visiting locker room. Then returns.
BG is still in the locker room.
The scoreboard officially says 0:00.6. BG eventually comes out of the locker room. And a technical foul is called.


Just embarrassing.
Dakich has shown he can coach basketball. But I think it might be best for him, and the program, to part ways. I realize it's not exactly the same thing, but Curt Miller has turned BG's women's program into one of the best in the country, and BG continues to be very competitive in several sports (I tried to work in a women's soccer reference in, but couldn't find a proper place).
The point is I don't think the problem is the University.
I think the problem is Dakich, and a change is needed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home