Tuesday, March 14, 2006

WBC (or, this is SO not the Dream Team)
As if yesterday's tainted win over Japan (the man did NOT leave early) wasn't bad enough, I turn on the television and see the United States getting blasted by Korea. Look, maybe getting beat by Canada wasn't exactly a great moment, but at least it's an actual COUNTRY. Korea is two countries brought together by baseball's odd version of politics.
And please, I know it was a country at one time. I fully expected the United States to get toasted by certain countries, despite the hype. But the fact of the matter is that the United States no longer dominates its own pastime.
What's worse is that it has been hard for me to cheer for the USA. I'm as pro-USA as it comes, and yet, when I see the passion in the players and fans in Puerto Rico, and contrast that with the countless American players who shunned the event, and Buck Martinez' unintentionally hilarious "the umpires want to get it right... and they did," line, how can I not be tempted to pull for the other guys?
The Japanese players left it all on the field Sunday, deserved to win, and were robbed. I don't think it was conspiracy, but it sure looked bad. I left the game not happy my country won, but rather sympathetic to the opponent.
And how can I cheer for a team Barry Bonds wants to play for?
I was against the WBC, and thought it was sloppy and self-congratulatory. But the truth is that the games in Puerto Rico have reminded me why I love baseball. Those players are going all out, and best of all, they don't mind showing how much they care.
It's why I love, and hate, the WBC.

1 Comments:

At 4:05 PM , Blogger Suss said...

Korea is short for South Korea, and they're the only team that has yet to lose a game.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home