Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Greatest Twin: Remembering Kirby Puckett
Note: This was written and posted on blogcritics early Tuesday morning, but I didn't get around to posting it here until today

Trying to write about Kirby Puckett just a few hours after his death is challenging, because I don't think I really believe it. I know the former outfielder has died, but I just can't accept someone who brought life into every game he played could be gone so quickly.
Puckett was 45 at the time of his death. If you had asked me 12 years ago, I would have said I expected him to play until he was 45. He just appeared to love the game that much.
Honestly, all I know about Puckett is the image he showed us. I never met the man. All I know is what I saw. Even as a life-long Indians fan, I loved watching Kirby Puckett. Perhaps I should amend that. I hated it when he came up against the Indians' pitchers, because it he always seemed to get hits off them. Actually, you could say that about a lot of players in regards to the Indians pitching staffs of my youth, but Puckett seemed to thrive against them.
Of course, Puckett hit well against just about everybody. He had over 2,300 hits in his career, and had over 200 in a season four times. He's also remembered for his World Series performances, specifically in 1991, when he hit a game-winning homer in game six against the Braves.
When you glance at his stats, perhaps the most surprising thing is he hadn't put on a uniform in 11 years. He retired in 1995. But his retirement was not a usual one. In his final season, Puckett hit .314 and smashed 23 homers. Had he been healthy, it's reasonable to believe he could have played several more seasons.Of course, that didn't happen.
In late September 1995, Puckett faced Indians' ace Dennis Martinez. Martinez, who pitched inside a lot, hit Puckett with a pitch, breaking his jaw and bursting an artery in his mouth. The following spring, he was diagnosed with glaucoma and never played again.
Suddenly, Puckett was gone. He did a few announcing gigs for ESPN, but was never as visible after his retirement.
When I heard about the stroke earlier today, I couldn't help but reflect back to Puckett's last at-bat. I remember watching the game, and I remember the aftermath. I remember Martinez apologizing, and Puckett saying he knew Martinez didn't mean to hurt him. It wasn't even known if the pitch had anything to do with the glaucoma.
But I can't help but wonder what going out of baseball so suddenly meant to Puckett. It was obvious to everyone who watched him play that he loved the game. Suddenly, on one pitch, his whole career was over.
Still, Puckett will be remembered for his game, his personality and what he meant to the Twins and to baseball. In an age of drugs, non-hustling stars, gambling managers and overpaid egotists, Kirby Puckett was something of a rarity. His enthusiasm made him not only popular in Minnesota, but all over the country.
The man may be gone, but anyone who saw him play or saw him smile will ever forget him.
Rest in peace, Mr. Puckett.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home