Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Savage to Stay ... maybe
Friday was certainly interesting. Late in the afternoon, I was under the impression, as was most of Cleveland, that Phil Savage was done as the Browns general manager.
From the reports I listened to, I heard the name "Ray Anderson" used as a replacement. As I was leaving my car, I heard the broadcasters say Savage was "out." There was little reason not to believe them.
I let my feelings on that possiblity known Friday on this blog. The Browns have just been a stick of perpetual dynamite for seven seasons. It goes off, and you think the team will rebuild. Then you discover that the dynamite is still there, ready for another explosion.
Erik wrote last week that fans have more patience for the Browns than for the Indians. He's right. I love the Indians, and love baseball even more than football.
But my favorite moments in sports are all Browns-related. My grandmother would call me after every Browns game and we would go over the key plays. She's been gone for 15 years, but every once in a while I think of something, and I know she's watching.
I think back to the days when the Browns were good, and I long to feel that way about them again. Yes, they made the playoffs in 2002, but did anyone really think they were a Super Bowl team?
The point is that after almost 15 years of mismanagement, distrust, a move, expansion and mediocrity, I finally felt like the Browns were headed in the right direction.
Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage made no promises, but that's what I liked. I actually feel better that the Browns went 6-10 this year instead of 8-8.
At 8-8, I'd be fooled into thinking they could win the AFC next year, even though every piece of rational thought would tell me otherwise.
Crennel just tells it like it is. He says the team still has a long way to go, and I believe him. I know that if the Browns are a playoff contender someday, it won't be with Ray Mickens in the secondary and Frisman Jackson at receiver. Nothing against those guys. It's just what is here now isn't what will be here then.
I assume I have lost some of you, since I started writing about Phil Savage and ended up somewhere else. The point is that after all that had happened, as a fan, I wasn't ready to hear the foundation was about to be ripped up again.
Of course, we were all wrong ... I guess. Savage was secure, we were told. It was all blown out of proportion.
But Savage himself isn't saying he's staying or going. The line seems to favor him staying, but we can hardly be certain of that.
The only thing I am fairly certain of is that Romeo will be here, and that's a relief.

It's the same old song, but with a different meaning since you've been gone -- The Four Tops
Update: As many of you now know by reading Joel's comment, Savage is in, Collins is out. On the upside, John Collins can now reunite Genesis.
Wait a minute. Phil Savage ... John Collins ... Phil Collins.
We should have known the partnership was doomed.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM , Blogger Joel said...

Reports out of Cleveland http://www.newsnet5.com/sports/5813182/detail.html say Collins, not Savage is out.

Hey Browns. Get a clue!!!!!

 
At 5:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one Collins to another:

"I'm waiting in line
But would you say if I was wasting my time
Or did I miss again
I think I missed again
Uh, oh"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home