Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas List
One of the things I always enjoyed about Christmas growing up was the anticipation of it all. There is a buildup as a child, a hope, an excitement. To this day, I still get excited on Christmas Eve, if only because I am looking forward to the reaction that my gifts will bring.
But today, December 23, 2005, I woke up to a reality: I hadn't done any Christmas shopping. I can only imagine the reaction of my loved ones if I brought home no gifts for the holidays.
So, I drove 30 miles and stood in long lines with people who were not all that thrilled to be spending a chilly December afternoon with me. It occurred to me that if I had just chosen a day three weeks ago to do this, it would have been easier.
But I didn't. So I stood in line.
Still, it's always disappointing to see the holidays pass, to realize that January and February lurk without even a song written about them to perk up a disenchanted soul.
Still, I have to be thankful. Christmas is a chance to say "I love you" to everyone. And yes, these people should know that.
But that doesn't mean the words shouldn't be said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home