Thursday, January 12, 2006

Indians offseason
Erik has his usual sharp take on the Indians and their offseason moves. I won't go move-for-move as he did, but I saw the Indians success or failure this winter as being based on a few major objectives.
* Sign two starting pitchers to replace Kevin Millwood and Scott Elarton.
*Sign a closer and some bullpen help for the late innings
and, most importantly ...
*Sign or trade for an outfielder to make sure that Casey Blake does not play in 147 games in 2006.
Let's see how they did.
*The Indians signed Paul Byrd and Jason Johnson to replace Millwood and Elarton.
*They brought in Steve Karsay and Danny Graves, and re-signed Scott Sauerbeck for the bullpen. If either Graves or Karsay works out, the Indians will be satisfactory in that area.
*The Indians solved their right field problem by signing Todd Hollandsworth and Eduardo Perez. Actually, Perez will play first base (and put pressure on Ben Broussard, who I thought was fine anyway).
The big problem is Casey Blake has not been removed from his starting spot. Erik said Hollandsworth could be a starter in right, and I hope he's right. Why am I so negative about Blake? Lets review:
* He had 23 homers, but drove in just 58 runs. In 147 games, mind you.
* He hit .210 or less in three different months in 2005.
* He has struck out at least 109 times in each of the last three seasons.
But here are the big ones
* He hit .192 (43-224) with runners on base last year
* He hit .171 (22-129) with runners in scoring position
* He hit (I am not making this up) .085 (5-59) with runners in scoring position and two down.
Want more?
* .143 batting average with the bases loaded.
* Of his 23 homers, 18 were solo.
All in all, I am looking forward to Blake patrolling right field only slightly more than I am looking forward to the next round of those "All rise for great taste" Miller Beer commercials. That guy needs a serious beating.
The actor, not Blake.
I want to emphasize that I don't like or mean to underestimate what a great guy Blake is. I have heard nothing but good about him. But I think he has proved he is no starter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home