Sunday, January 15, 2006

Explanation
"I had the defender catching the ball. Before he got up, he hit it with his leg with his other leg still on the ground. Therefore, he did not complete the catch. And then he lost the ball. It came out, and so we made the play an incomplete pass." -- Referee Pete Morelli

The call was, without question, one of the worst I have ever seen in football. If calls like this are what we get out of replay, then I am in favor of chucking the whole system.
For those who didn't see the game, here's what happened.
With Pittsburgh leading 21-10 with 5:26, Steelers defender TroyPolamalu intercepted a pass, then fumbled it. Watching the game with five others, I looked around and asked the group what, exactly, Colts' coachTony Dungy was challenging, since Polamalu clearly caught the ball, secured it, rolled over with it, then fumbled it when it hit his knee. Then he recovered it.
But somehow, with "indisputable physical evidence," the call was overturned.
Joey Porter was sensing conspiracy, which would seem laughable, except for the fact that there has yet to be an explanation as to why the call was made that makes sense.
When the official uses the word "catch" in his desciption of a play, it's a catch.
I am no Steelers fan, but I am concerned. If that play could get overturned, what next?
Good thing Pittsburgh won. Otherwise I wouldn't have really felt the champion from the AFC had earned the title.

1 Comments:

At 6:46 AM , Blogger applemcg said...

Zach, check out my comments at Statboni, where I'm in complete agreement. There is some suggestion out here in the b-sphere that Morelli owed the Colts a call.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home