Sunday, July 24, 2005

Hero
The events of the past few years have allowed many of us to re-evaluate what the term "hero" means. It is no longer a term that can just be tossed around.
The firefighters and police officers that performed with such bravery on 9-11 showed the world what the term means. The men and women serving in Afghanistan and Iraq also have shown what it means.
I have always said my parents were my heroes. I still believe that.
The reason I write about this is to point out that athletes are not heroes -- at least not for what they do in competition.
I love sports; it's a big part of what I do for a living. But the athletes I cover are not heroes, and the athletes on the national stage are not heroes.
But there are exceptions.
Here's one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home