Thursday, June 02, 2005

Spelling Bee
Thousands of years from now, when historians are studying our civilization, they will be most amused by what is on ESPN as I write this.
Like those who compete their animals in worldwide dog shows, people will soon wonder about the rare child that can spell "geistlich" correctly.
I am particularly amused by the announcers who say that some 11-year old with attitude is a "real crowd favorite."
You mean people just COME to this thing? I sort of figured it was just the parents and the unlucky camera man who came. And the parents only have one favorite.
Some kid just pumped his fist like he struck out Carlos Beltran after spelling the word "Hooroosh" correctly. Now, as someone who celebrates after winning a game of charades, I am not one to criticize. But it is funny for an outsider.
How do you get to be an announcer for this thing? Maybe it's the first step to calling a game at Wrigley.
"We're down to the sweet 16!" the announcer exclaims. Hmmm, better check my bracket.
Anurag Kashyap is up. Honestly, I didn't see him making it this far. I had him advancing to the final 20, but ... he spells "terete" right, and advances. I wonder how this changes Aliya Robin Deri's strategy.
Surprisingly, the word "baggage" hasn't come up yet.
The announcers, much like Fred Willard in "Best in Show," make this whole thing worthwhile.
I was in a spelling bee in second grade, and was the last one on my team to advance. It was going really well until Mrs. Kidder asked me to spell "threw." I spelled it "t-h-r-o-w." It has bothered me ever since.
UPDATE
Quite cool getting Al Franken to emcee.
The announcer just said "The spelling bee mirrors life."
Uhhh ... I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home