Monday, January 10, 2005

CBS fires four over National Guard Story
Yes, the verdict is finally in. But, let's look inside the story for a line that caught my attention:
"[the panel] cannot conclude that a political agenda at '60 Minutes Wednesday' drove either the timing of the airing of the segment or its content."

I'm sorry, I don't buy that at all. If you use your journalism skills, there has to be something in there that says: "Wait a minute, are you sure we have enough here?"
The fact that the seasoned producers failed to do that shows me that they wanted the story to be true. Then, even after it was disproved, they continued to cling to it like a big briefcase in the deep ocean.
Did they want to believe the story so badly that it would overcome their need for personal credibility? My answer would be yes, and that is a bias, an agenda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home