Thursday, November 18, 2004

The question of intelligence
Staying out of political discourse over the last few weeks has had its advantages. A satisfyingly decisive Bush victory occurred. I remained, for the most part, silent. "It's never good to gloat," I thought. It makes you look weak.
That and the fact that there is a difference between being happy and being satisfied.
I knew that if John F. Kerry had become the 44th president of the United States, the sun would still rise. I would have been disheartened, but I would have gone to work, silently taken some good-natured ribbing, and then moved on.
Some on the other side were not as graceful as Mr. Kerry in defeat. Kerry, for the record, impressed me with his concession speech, undoubtedly the most difficult speech he will ever make. John Edwards didn't, since I felt his speech was more of a "vote Edwards in 2008" rally-cry. I was critical, but of course, found out a few days later he had some more pressing and difficult things to deal with.
Then we see headlines from "The Guardian," asking, "How can 58 million people be so dumb?" (A website that I have written for did, in its internal discussion, express much the same thing)
Well,I put some Van Morrison on the stereo and ponder the question, while at the same time not wanting to offend my liberal friends.
Ask yourself these questions:
Who is smarter, John McCain or Michael Moore? (Don't feel bad, Michael thinks your stupid too, you won't hurt his feelings.)
Who would you rather have sitting next to you for a political history exam, Karl Rove or Ben Affleck?
What's wrong with believing that Rudy Giuliani is a smart and brave man?
I am somewhat tired of debating politics, but the debate over intelligence irks me quite a bit. Not just with the president, but with conservatives in general.
Dick Cheney said of Mr. Kerry: "We don't question his patriotism, just his judgment."
Well, my challenge to those who criticize those who voted for Bush is "Question judgment, not intelligence."
Remember, if Karl Rove is an evil genius, Bush one-upped him by correctly predicting Mr. Dean would burn out.
Here's my favorite agitator, Christopher Hitchens to elaborate.

1 Comments:

At 5:01 PM , Blogger Zach said...

Just food for thought. Everyone should say whatever they please. That's the beauty of this country. I wasn't meaning to be critical of their right to think. I just wanted them to see it from another perspective.
When you say to someone, "Don't say that." It's not a call for those that disagree to stop talking.
Just food for thought. But Aaron, you did make me think about my words. I appreciate it. Interested in copyediting?

Zach

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home