Monday, July 12, 2004

The plot thickens
So now Carlos Boozer's agent has left him at the proverbial alter, and Boozer has to be wondering what the heck to do now. This story is developing more twists and turns then a very special episode of Coach. Remember that episode where within three days, Luther had left Minnesota, signed to be head coach with Aberdeen College, then got fired for NCAA violations on his first day of the job, then was back with Minnesota within days?
Yeah, this is kinda like that.
I normally like Jim Rome, but after reading more and more about the situation, I think he may have made a mistake. I made one too early on, blaming Jim Paxson when the evidence now suggests it was Gordon Gund (Cavs owner) who ok'd the move and put his word by it as a decision he made.
That has been news for three days now, but it didn't stop Rome from laying into Paxson in his show and on his website. That's how I felt three days ago, but not now.
The truth is, I just can't blame the Cavs for trying to be honorable anymore. It seems that now it is ok to steal the bride, hop in the car, yell "sucker" and leave the forgotten groom in a pile of dust.
That's what the Jazz and Boozer did. It works in the movies--but it shouldn't work like that in real life. Can we reach a point where a good deed is a good deed, and not a target for cynical reflection and mild humiliation?
No one is more guilty than I.
But I wish, sometimes I wasn't so cynical. I was calling for Paxson's head five days ago, but now ...
Well, he gave his word,and as it turns out, people still respect it, even in the cynical world of pro basketball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home