Friday, July 09, 2004

Kerry and Hollywood
I guess John Kerry felt he needed to shore up support from the Hollywood community, and in the process, raised an impressive 7.5 million dollars last night.
Now, I am against donating money to political parties in general, since I can't think of any institution that would know how to use my money worse.
But this is a non-partisan criticism. Bush has raised far more money than Kerry, and I can't help but wonder why he needs it all. We have long known that Bush was going to be running. Same for Kerry.
Is the money really going to help them get elected? Is it really important to have as much money as they do?
I can't help but wonder why someone like John Mellencamp, long noted for his activism in things such as Farm Aid, can't think of better ways to help America than to give his money to an established candidate.
Now, it's probably true that these celebrities have given a great deal to charity, but still.
Wouldn't 7.5 million be better served helping out a school that can't pass a levy? Or a community center, or well ... ANYTHING?
Bush's people are just as guilty. I'd like to see a politician say "I don't need your money, give it some place where it can have good use."
Oh, and good to see the hollywoodites reaffirm how much they hate the president. I'm sorry, I just don't see the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home