Thursday, May 27, 2004

Jostling for position
-One year ago I was so excited about the NBA draft lottery. Now it has come and gone and I was none the wiser. Cavs pick 10 this year, but with talent involved in this one, I am uncertain it makes a whole lot of difference.
-Has anyone ever heard of a restaurant called "Cheddars"? I ate there last night in Findlay with my father, and came away very impressed with the salmon. What I'm not sure is if it's a national chain.

Alerts
Today I am going to write about terrorism, and the recent alerts. Despite all of this, I still believe the most likely place for terror is not on this continent, but rather in Greece during the Summer games. I am deeply concerned about security over there, particularly after seeing Bryant Gumble's piece on it on HBO. The Greeks are rushing to finish their stadium (and their roofless pool arena) in time for August.
In the Bush administration, one of the members I tend to be hard on is John Ashcroft, mainly because of his overly strong religious views, and the way they have slipped into some of his comments.
But I will say this for him: He is keeping us posted, and that is a big part of prevention. I may not agree with some of his statements, but with briefings like yesterday's, people will be keeping an eye out.
Greece does not appear ready at all. Recent articles have commented on the lack of security at the buildings, and other oversites that are occurring there. They are in such a rush to finish in time, you have to wonder about their security.
The threat there may not be just from Islamic groups, but from Greek Anarchist groups as well.
There are few stages bigger than the olympics, and I hope Greece, and the international community, are prepared come August.
Lets all hope.
UPDATE
Here's an article about the security concerns in Athens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home