Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Thoughts on history
According to a current book I am reading on the 1790s in America, I have made the following conclusions about our founding fathers:
Washington: Honorable, selfless, unable to concieve a son. If he had, he *might* have had a change of heart on that whole "I don't want to be king" thing.

Adams: Honorable, honest, realistic, conservative. He's the founding father I think I have the most respect for, ALTHOUGH I have yet to really get to the section on the alien and sedition act. Still, I am impressed with the character of him (from this source's description.

Jefferson: Manipulative, confusing, sad. I really admired him growing up, but with each turning page my admiration turns to distrust. I am no longer sure WHAT, if anything, he believed in, post founding of the union. He destroyed people, and did it all behind the scenes.

Hamilton: Brilliant, but an apparent snake in the grass. He sure liked women, according to this account, particularly ones he wasn't married to.

I hope to read more and get more information, as I am sure there are glowing books about Jefferson and Hamilton. It just appears to me that the two attempted to assassinate each other's character.

The more things change ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home