Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Andy Barch: The exclusive NFL Draft interview
Below is a transcript of my March 25 interview with Charleston Alley Dogs broadcaster and media relations director Andy Barch. I am going to post it question by question, leading up to the draft next month. Today's section deals with the first pick in the draft.
VZ=Vitamin Z
AB=Andy Barch

VZ: We are pleased, to have here inside the pharmacy, the new voice of the single A affiliate for the Toronto Blue Jays, Mr. Andy Barch. Andy, how are you doing tonight?

AB: Very well Zach, it's a pleasure to be here ... I appreciate it.

VZ: We're going to talk about something that I think you know more about than anybody, let's talk about the NFL draft. It seems to me there is not a standout pick for number one. Would you agree with that?

AB: I don't think there's a standout pick but I only say that because the team that's picking number one is the San Diego Chargers, and they could in a wide variety of directions with that pick. If I'm Marty Schottenheimer sitting in the catbird seat there in San Diego, my first pick would be one of two guys, and it would not be a quarterback because of the way his offensive system works. I don't think he needs to pick a quarterback because that particular system uses a conservative approach; a ball control attack, which requires a formative running back and winning the war in the trenches. In that regard I wouldn't be taking a quarterback, I'd go with Robert Gallery, who really seems to be flying up the charts, and if Robert Gallery is not the way they decide to go, this is a secondary that ranked dead last in touchdowns surrendered. They gave up 36 touchdown passes last season. If you bring in a guy like Sean Taylor, that could certainly turn things around in that secondary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home