Friday, April 23, 2010

Draft thoughts
In retrospect, I think I got a little caught up in things Wednesday night when I predicted the Steelers would trade Ben Reothlisberger. Just throw it on the pile of stupid things I've written on this blog over the last three years. It'll be big enough to create quite the bonfire.

Now to the Browns...

- Joe Haden would not have even been my third choice. The Browns need to create pressure on the quarterback to make the defensive backs mean anything. My first choice was Eric Berry, also a DB, but that was because I viewed him as a freak of nature who could make an Eric Turner-like impact.

Which is not to say Haden will be a bad pick. But I still wonder where the pressure is going to come from.

- The T.J. Ward pick didn't make much sense to me. Again, I really wanted a pass rusher (though there weren't may at that point) or a receiver. Instead, the Browns draft another DB. You have to hope this will be a strength for the Browns next year. The real reason the pick bothered me was that the Browns seemingly could have taken Ward in a later round. But after watching the experts be wrong for two days, maybe that wasn't the case.

- Monterio Hardesty is a running back with knee problems. This was confusing because the Browns traded away a few picks to get this guy. The Browns haven't exactly had good luck drafting backs since they've been back; it's probably why I am negative.

- Did anyone else see the "oh great, there goes my career" look on Colt McCoy's face when the Browns took him? I like McCoy. He's a winner, and seems to be a smart kid. But drafted QBs haven't done well here either. Remember Tim Couch, Spergon Wynn, Luke McCown, Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn?

-Not a Browns thought, but Tim Tebow going in the first round is crazy. Sometimes I wonder if Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has Eric Mangini-like power issues.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home