Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day
My father won't make a big deal out of this day, and he probably won't make a big deal out of this post, either. He asks for little, gives a lot, and has helped me in more ways than I can count.

As I was riding around today, the lessons I have learned from him popped into my head. What was interesting is how many things we learn from our fathers without even realizing it. It seemed like a good day to write a few of them down.

10 things I learned from my father
1. If you don't know something, just say you don't know it. Pretending you know only leads to more trouble.

2. How to read a baseball box score.

3. Never give up on the Cleveland Browns, even if they are trailing the New York Jets by 10 with less than five minutes left in a divisional playoff game.

4. Try not to talk unless you have something to say. (I violate this more than I should).

5. Giving up when you first encounter trouble is easy. Working to overcome that trouble is rewarding.

6. National League baseball is superior to American League baseball because the NL does not use the DH, and thus has the greatest rule in sports -- the double switch.

7. History is important.

8. It's important to listen to viewpoints that are not in line with your own. (I'm not good on this one, either.)

9. You're lucky to have Mom. (I learned this one pretty quickly.)

10. Practice may not make perfect, but it certainly helps. (I had to squeeze a golf one on here).

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

1 Comments:

At 6:35 PM , Blogger Joel said...

well done, Zach. Gives me an idea for next Father's Day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home