Saturday, March 10, 2007

BGSU women win again; could Miller replace Dakich?
So the No. 20 Falcons were hurt, short on players, and facing adversity for perhaps the first time this season.
Didn't matter. BG still wins, 66-53.
I take a great deal of satisfaction in the Falcons' success. Not only am I a BG graduate, but I covered them for parts of two seasons with the BG News.
When I covered BG in 2002-2003, it was still a rebuilding program, and while it seemed the team was headed in the right direction, some weren't so sure.
I remember at a press conference, after a loss to Toledo, Miller telling the reporters about his new recruiting class, stressing their size. Post play had been something that had been lacking for years at BG, and Miller was confident that getting some would turn the team around.
Three-straight Mid-American Conference Tournament championships vindicates that.
As I've written here before, Miller is a class act who deserves a ton of credit. He's one of the best coaches in the country.
So I will throw this out there:
If Dan Dakich is fired, would BG consider Miller to replace him?
I wouldn't. The women's program is in such good shape, and I think it's important to keep it that way. I doubt Miller would even consider switching.
Still, with the men's program in trouble, the Falcons need a coach who knows how to rebuild. Miller has shown he can do that.
It might be tempting. Again, I don't see it happening. The women are outdrawing the men in BG right now, and why mess with the women's team?
Just something to think about, even if not for too long.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:46 AM , Blogger Joel said...

Assuming this was serious, Curt Miller is farrrrrr too effeminate (notice I didn't say anything about his sexuality) to ever be taken seriously by men. Hell, after his antics this week with the BG "underdog" talk, I got the sense his women players didn't even take him seriously.

 
At 9:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to start the "Bring Back Bill Fitch" campaign at BG.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home