Sunday, October 22, 2006

Broncos 17, Browns 7
At some point in the third quarter, as I sat in Cleveland Browns Stadium, my brother looked over and mumbled about how he spent $40 to be cold and depressed.
I must confess to being irritated at the Browns play, not just today but in just about every game this season.
I read this morning about how Romeo Crennel could be fired and Jim Tressel could take his place. I was angry when I read it. The last thing this team needs is another finger on the reset button.
I just want some stability. The Browns have had four coaches in eight seasons. Two owners, three GMs.
And the result is mediocrity.
I say let GM Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel work the remainder of their contracts and see what happens. After all, how can things get much worse?
- Everyone piles on Maurice Carthon. But it's not the offensive coordinator's fault quarterback Charlie Frye has no time to throw and Reuben Droughns can't find anywhere to run.
- Some Browns fans want the offense to air it out. Did they see what happened when Frye tried? Interception, incompletions and sacks.
-No complaints with the defense. They were on the field 37 minutes, and kept the Broncos off the board in two of the four quarters.
-If Jake Plummer is a star quarterback, then the pitcher's mound is a mountain.

1 Comments:

At 5:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, don't want to see Crennel fired. And I sure as heck don't want to see Tressel leave Ohio State to take his place.

But if Crennel continues to refuse to try anything new on offense, he might write his own ticket out of town.

I think the litmus test is if he loses his players. Already, some of the players appear to be less than thrilled with how the offense is being run. If they lose confidence in Crennel and stop believing in him, the only option will be to can him.

Then, as you so aptly put it, the reset button gets smacked yet another time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home