Wednesday, October 04, 2006

MLB Playoff notes: Day 1
Amazingly, I took time out of my Cleveland Browns celebration (a 3-point win over the worst team in football is still something worth celebrating) to watch the baseball playoffs.
Here are some notes from a day of watching baseball:
* I picked the Twins to win the World Series, and I am not changing my pick just yet. Yes, the Athletics managed to beat Johan Santana, but since Oakland hasn’t made an American League Championship Series appearance since 1992, I’m not ready to hand them the ticket just yet.
The A’s are starting Esteban Loaiza in Game 2, which is another reason for the Twins to be confident.
* In the most amazing thing I’ve seen since Two and a Half Men became a hit, Russell Branyan hit a triple for the Padres in their loss to St. Louis. Branyan was an Indians’ prospect who never really learned to shorten his swing. He has amazing power, if he makes contact. So I thought a triple for him was impossible.
Actually, the Padres roster reads like Cleveland Indians-West. The Padres have Branyan, Alan Embree, Rudy Seanez, Josh Bard, Brian Giles and Dave Roberts — all former Indians. The Cardinals have Ronnie Belliard. I guess that makes St. Louis the favorite.
As bad as the Cardinals played in the closing weeks of the season, I still think they’re dangerous. Chris Carpenter pitched like a No. 1 starter is supposed to, and Albert Pujols is still the most dangerous hitter in baseball.
* What on earth was Fox Baseball host Jeannie Zelasko wearing tonight? Murphy Brown called, she wants her look back. Then again, her outfits are almost always interesting. At the 2005 All Star game, she looked like a waitress at Oktoberfest.
* Not being from New York, and having friends who are Tigers’ fans, I must admit to pulling for Detroit in its series. But it was frustrating tonight.
The Tigers seemed to have runners on in almost every inning, but couldn’t capitalize. That’s six-straight losses for the Tigers. I’m still not sold on New York. The Yankees probably will win this series, but it’s thin pitching ought to cost it in the next round.
Also can be read at www.blogcritics.org

1 Comments:

At 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A's 5, Twins 2.

A's head home up 2-0. I'm spellbound. How does the best home team in baseball suddenly gag away homefield advantage like that?

The A's were already the victim of a thee-game rally against the Yankees a few years ago. I'm not saying it couldn't happen again, but I think the A's are headed to their first ALCS in 14 years.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home