Friday, July 07, 2006

Indian Summer
Isn't it amazing what five weeks can do to a city?
Well, maybe five weeks. Maybe 12 days.
The Cavaliers have offered LeBron James a deal, and he hasn't signed it. Of course, he can't sign it until Wednesday.
Still, LeBron is silent, and the national pundits are pouncing on the story like a 6-year old on a waterbed.
Would I have liked it if LeBron had told everyone he would sign the extension? Yes. But the truth is I don't know what he's thinking and I would prefer not to guess.
All Cleveland sports fans know the feeling. Erik knows it. I know it. The writers at the PD and Beacon know it.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume the national writers hate having to come to Cleveland to cover LeBron. Just like Ken Griffey Jr., the writers can't see how an athlete can be happy outside of New York, Boston, Chicago or L.A.
Griffey just wanted to go home to Cincinnati. Junior's fortunes declined, and the media began dumping on him, and writing about how things have gone badly in Cincinnati.
But Griffey was traded before the 2000 season. It's now 2006. Junior is beloved by his teammates, and cheered loudly by the fans. He doesn't have a ring, but watching his interactions with players and fans, he doesn't appear unhappy.
Maybe LeBron will stay in Cleveland, and maybe he'll like it. Maybe he'll bring the fans a title. Maybe he'll go to New York or Chicago. Or New Jersey.
The point is, he has two years to sign the extension. He has two years left in wine and gold.
If he wins the city a title, just one, I don't care where he goes.
All I know is LeBron James will be here next year. On that alone, the Cavaliers are contenders to win the NBA title. None of the other teams in the city can make that claim.
Hey, I'm still thrilled we got the guy in the first place.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He'll sign. I'm at least 95 percent sure he'll sign. I just use my blog to vent and what-if sometimes.

I think we wouldn't be worried like this if Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade hadn't committed to their extensions so soon. But since they did, and LeBron didn't, we wonder what is going on.

The thing to remember is that LeBron can't put pen to paper until Wednesday. If July 12 becomes July 20 becomes August 1 and he still hasn't signed, then we can start seriously wondering what's going on.

He has other commitments to USA basketball thi summer, so you'd think he'd be interested in getting this contract issue resolved soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home