Saturday, July 01, 2006

Remembering a few things
Three years ago, when I was finishing up my time at Bowling Green State University, I thought I'd inherited the greatest job in the world.
Here I was, a 23-year old who just two years earlier had been wasting away his college years. But looking at BG's football schedule, all I could think was that someone up there must like me.
A few months earlier, I had gotten the job as the sports editor of the BG News. One of the perks of the job was being able to hire myself for one of the best beats -- football.
I looked at the schedule and saw that the Falcons made trips to Purdue, Ohio State and Miami University.
The trip to Oxford, looking back, was the most rewarding. I met some big names that night-- ESPN's Mike Tirico (great guy, by the way) and hall of famer Anthony Munoz -- and then got to watch a young Ben Roethlisberger play a great game.
I did also get a chance to see Tom Archdeacon, but was too afraid to introduce myself.
Archdeacon, a writer for the Dayton Daily News, had been a writing idol of mine. My aunt, who lives in the Dayton area, occasionally sent stories he had written.
They weren't game-stories, but human-interest ones with a sports touch.
This, I thought, is the type of writer I want to be.
I finally introduced myself to Archdeacon in December of 2003, before the MAC championship game between Miami and Bowling Green. I told him he was a big reason I became a writer and it was always a thrill when my aunt sent his articles.
Archdeacon smiled and talked to me for a few minutes. It was something I'll never forget.
A few weeks later, the final act of my college career was played out, when Bowling Green beat Northwestern in the Motor City Bowl.
I covered the game, and came away impressed with Wildcats' coach Randy Walker. He made no excuses and answered all the questions. He thanked his seniors for their hard work, and spoke well of the team that had just beaten his.
This is a class guy, I thought. Most coaches would have been short with the media or bitter. Walker may have been down, but he didn't show it. He impressed me.
The news of Walker's death is a shock not only to Northwestern, but to the entire sports world.
Walker graduated from and coached Miami University for nine years. He was from Troy originally. Many people have written a great deal about the coach and the man.
Tom Archdeacon's article, as usual, stands out.
Rest in peace, Mr. Walker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home