Friday, July 21, 2006

Further Wickman thoughts
The Indians have conceded the season, which is a relief. The team is 10 games under .500, and has no chance of catching Detroit or Chicago.
Getting rid of Bob Wickman makes sense. The closer is doubtless at the end of his career, and leaving him on the roster would have served no purpose.
But my first thought when I saw the Indians aquired A catcher Max Ramirez was "that's it?" For a guy who saved 45 games last season, in a bullpen-starved market?
I know Wickman had 10-5 rights, but getting this little for him is a tad perplexing.
And I'd like it if just once, Indians General Manager would describe a baseball move in baseball terms, instead of using the term "market" every five seconds.
I know the Indians are a small market team. Believe me Mark, the last four seasons have made that reality quite clear. I also know Shapiro is sharp, and his hands are often tied.
But it'd be nice if we could hear about baseball and baseball only in baseball decisions. Continually suggesting otherwise sounds like an excuse.
We all know selecting prospects in a trade is like throwing darts. But receiving a single A player, and only a single A player, for a 2005 All-Star makes the deal seem money-oriented. Trading for prospects is playing darts. Trading for single A players is like playing blindfolded.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shapiro reportedly said he passed on Class AA and AAA players to take Ramirez, because that is the player he really wanted.

He said something to the effect of "sometimes you have to go low to get a player with a high ceiling."

Ramirez is hitting .285 with nine homers in low-A ball. Pardon my French, but my bullshit detector is beeping like crazy.

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger Joel said...

Exactly what I said on Crain's site, Erik. That quote in the PD made me literally LOL. Laugh out loud. Seriously.

The Braves stole him. I loved reading somewhere it pointed out that the Braves gave up a hot young prospect at catcher when they already had three (McCann, Saltamacchia and Pena) in their system.

I imagine the conversation went like this:

Shapiro: We want Andruw Jones.

Scheurholz: We'll give you Max Ramirez.

Shapiro: Manny Ramirez? I'll take him!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home