Saturday, July 16, 2005

Finishing up
As I write this, the Indians trail the White Sox 6-0.
Erik wrote, and I had hoped, that the Indians would respond from a poor series and the all-star break by coming out of it with solid play.
It hasn't happened.
Through 22 innings against the White Sox, the tribe has been held to one run. If nothing else, I think this proves Eddie Murray was not at fault for the team's offensive struggles.
But it's more than that. Let's look at the Indians outfield.
Report Card
Outfield
Casey Blake
.223 10 29
Whatever the Indians see in this guy, it's lost on me. I know Blake hit 28 homers a year ago, and I am just as certain he's a great guy.
But like Aaron Boone, he's just not producing.
He has decent enough power numbers, but he;s only driven in 29 runs. He's not all that good defensively.
Basically, I don't get it. He was a career minor leaguer before 2002, and has been at best, average.
What irritates me most is that Blake is always usually playing, despite rarely getting his average above .230.
I had a theory that Blake might have compromising photos of someone in the Indians front office. That's the only reason I understand why he has gotten so many at-bats while Jody Gerut remains in reserve.
Grade: D

Jody Gerut
.273 1 11
Coming off an injury, Jody is hitting for average, but little else. Still, he's a great defensive player and has just 128 at-bats. I think he'd produce better than Blake, if given more at-bats.
Grade: C

Grady Sizemore
.282 9 40
Gray had been on fire and looked unstoppable a couple of weeks ago, before going into a slump. Still, it's hard to judge the 22-year old too harshly, considering he has produced way above expectations and will likely be an all-star for years to come. He's a five tool player, and it won't be long before he's slapping the ball around again.
Grade
B+

Coco Crisp
.292 8 33
He's been outstanding this season in just about every instance. He hits, runs and plays good defense. At one time, I believed he was a fourth outfielder.
Wrong.
Offensively, Crisp reminds me of Barry Larkin, who hits, has speed but also has the ability to go deep.
Coco deserves credit for his ability to do all that has been asked.
Grade: B-

Juan Gonzalez, Ryan Ludwick
Grade: INC.

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God knows why you like and care so much about Eddie Murray and his firing, let it go. The guy has a nasty personality. No one likes him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home