Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Johnny Carson
He retired when I was 12, and despite a few tapes that I have watched at my friends' house, I can't say that I really knew much about him or his humor.
But, watching the various and numbered tributes, one cannot deny his influence. David Letterman makes me laugh, and I can only assume that without Johnny Carson, there would be no David Letterman. Or Jay Leno, Arsenio Hall, Craig Kilborn, Conan O'Brien, and a number of others who failed to imitate him.
My best memories of the man himself came when I was six. I was spending Christmas in Florida with my grandma. I only knew how late it was when I'd hear those two famous words:
HERE'S JOHNNY!
At which point I knew to be quiet, because if my dad knew I was still up, there may be trouble.
Rest in peace, Mr. Carson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home