Thursday, January 20, 2005

Another Opinion
Yes, many of the performers in The Last Waltz seem tired and perhaps mired in depression. I wrote last week that I found this to be the best rockumentary that I had seen, and I meant it.
Roger Ebert sees it differently. I see the film as a collection of great performers at the top of their game. Dr. John, for instance, can't stop smiling, and Ronnie Hawkins can't stop grinning during a gritty performance.
But Ebert writes about the pain and frustration he sees.
Maybe I am more of a music guy than a film guy. Certainly, Ebert is more qualified to discuss films. But the negativity he gets from the film is something I didn't get. Maybe that's because I love the music so much. But I have a hard time describing Muddy Waters as on "Auto Pilot."
I know that most of the performers were high on drugs during the film. But the performances seemed to really click. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home