Thursday, December 09, 2004

Santa's letters
Yes, in the heart of every cynic is the touch of a warm, loving and optimistic person. At the place I currently work, their is a box where kids can drop off their letters to the fat man with a beard and red suit.
Yes, I am cynical and yes I stopped believing in Santa and the tooth fairy when I was seven. When the kids come in, Bad Zach wants to say "You do realize that "I" will be writing the response letter, and you can expect a barrel of wheat for Christmas."
But Good Zach remembers what it was like to believe, to think that Santa was real and ate the cookies and left the letters. It was the same Zach that believed the Browns would win the Super Bowl in 1986, 1987 and 1988, and who believed that Michael Jordan wasn't good enough to get off a shot with the Cavs up by one and three seconds left.
In my most nostalgic moments, I miss the positive kid who was wrecked by middle school and the Bill Clinton administration.
But then, that kid didn't have as good of a sense of humor and wasn't nearly as good of a writer. So you take what you can get.
-Joey is not good. Matt Leblanc is, but the writing is poor and the cast is worse. His "nephew" is as annoying as the girl that aged three years in one summer on Growing Pains. This was the first episode I watched since the pilot. Leblanc does his best, but the material is so poor it makes him look like an idiot trying to make it funny. I think Friends worked because they were all able to play off each other so well.
Oh, and if anyone is looking for a gift for me, Friends Season Five or six will do nicely. I'll write a song for you in return. (I actually did that for a friend one year when I wasn't sure what to get him.)
-I finished All to Human, by George Stephanopoulos. It was frustrating remembering the scandals of the Clinton administration, but it was important for me to hear a different perspective on the former president.
- Happy Hanukkah everyone!

1 Comments:

At 6:28 AM , Blogger Zach said...

I would never claim that the Clinton Administration wrecked me, only that it made me more cynical and less positive about those in government.
Middle school wrecks us all. I like Clinton as a man, (at least the sides he showed us) but his use of the office as his own personal groupie-room made me lose faith in the judgement of those elected.
And, if he got 50 percent of the vote, it would be a first for him. In two presidential elections, he never received 50 percent of the vote.
He may have won, I don't know. It's part of the reason that I expect a Hillary presidency in 2008.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home