Monday, August 02, 2004

No such thing
Some MLB trade talk:
-As hard as I tried, I couldn't come up with a reason why Paul Loduca was traded. Paul was, by most accounts, the inspirational leader for the Dodgers. I understand that LA felt that they needed pitching help, but I wouldn't have made this deal unless the acquisition of Randy Johnson was a certainty.
The Marlins made out big time in this deal, in my opinion. They rid themselves of a decent pitcher and some bench players while picking up a "Pudge-like" leader and helping their outfield. The thing is, they still may not be able to catch Atlanta, who is currently sailing to another title.
-Nomar goes to the Cubs, Doug Mientkiewicz goes to the Red Sox, Justin Jones goes to the Twins ... and a bunch of other transactions I haven't calculated yet. The big winner here is my friend Nick Weber, who, a loyal cubs fan, is probably screaming "NOMAHHHH!" to unsuspecting Japanese citizens.
Nomar not playing for the Red Sox is kind of like Carlos Bearga playing with the Mets at first: It doesn't seem right, but it had to be done.
Nomar was really messed with by Boston, and I am pretty certain the Cubs fans will give him a much needed self-esteem revival.
Mientkiewicz's leaving the Twins surprised me. The Twins are still in a pennant race with the down-trodden White Sox, and I thought that Minnesota would have learned its lesson about subtraction after trading Matt Lawton to the Mets for Rick Reed in 2001. Still, the White Sox and Indians are not good enough to beat the Twins, so maybe the deal makes sense.
-Estabon Loaiza for Jose Contreres is just one overrated starter for another, in my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home