Friday, July 30, 2004

Why do we need this?
I keep thinking that there are things in this society that we don't need. Like:
-Why did anyone ever spend money to put braille in the drivethrough ATMs? What surprises me is not that it happened, rather, that it's the standard. No one ever stopped to say, "wait, this is pointless."
-Songwriters that re-write the lyrics of songs we already know for commercial purposes? I remember a commercial for Celebrex .... I'm not entirely sure what it is or does, but I remember the jingle. It took the song "Celebrate" and changed the lyrics from "Celebrate, Celebrate ... dance to the music," to "Celebrate, Celebrate, C'mon and Celebrate." Was it really nessecary to change the lyrics of a song we already know to sell a product we don't know?
-Movies where the most beautiful woman in the state is loneley and undateable. I recently saw "Under the Tuscan Sun," with the lovable, endearing Diane Lane. Yet she couldn't find someone--in Tuscan Italy, mind you--until the final five minutes of the film. I was ready to jump through the screen and say "I'll go out with you!"
-Multiple award shows. We have the Oscars, the Golden Globes, The MTV Music Awards, the Emmys, the Grammys, The Music Awards, The Vogue Fashion Awards, The Espys, The People's Choice Awards, and countless others airing on stations I've never heard of in countries I'll never visit with celebrities I'm unaware of doing films that I'll never see.
Yes, it's a self-centered frustration. But why can't we have awards for TV, Movies and music. The "Entertainment awards" and THAT'S IT.
-Sports Entertainment shows: I have sports, I have entertainment. I don't need shows that want to blur the line. My BLOG does that. I don't need someone from "The Shield" telling me about the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. I have heard about it every hour of every day for the last 20 years.
-LIST shows: 100 greatest DRINKING Songs????
-Too many reality shows: I live reality. I watch TV to escape it. That would be true of course, if there was ANYTHING realistic about this genre. We have singing shows, money shows, wrestling shows, modeling shows, egotist sports owner shows ... Thanks Europe.
-News channels. That's it. In the old days we had TV with news that would break in. Now we have an endless amount of news channels telling us the same things for 24 hours a day.

Ahhhhh that felt good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home