Sunday, August 08, 2004

Hall of Fame Thoughts
- If you were born in Cleveland, the name of John Elway is enough to send chills up your spine, much like the names of Michael Jordan, Willie Mays and Edgar Renteria. It's been 17 years since the drive, but the highlights air so often on ESPN Classic, it's enough to feel the frustration again, just like it was 1987.
I was six when the drive took place, consoled by my father as I cried and cried. He comforted me perfectly, as he often did, reminding me that there was always next year. Looking back, I imagine he felt the same way that I did. He just didn't show it.
Of course,"next year" brought on another heartbreaker. It's pretty amazing that I could live in Cleveland, have all these bad things happen to my teams,and still become a sportswriter.
Which brings me to another story.
The year was 1999, and the Browns were in their first year back in the NFL. Akili Smith, who had been shunned by the Browns in the previous draft, led the Bengals on a game-winning drive, what turned out to be the highlite of his career.
After the drive, he hopped around like a jackass, pumping his chest and taunting the Browns fans.
It was a long drive back to Bowling Green, just my dad and me. We were just getting off the highway and had been quiet for about a half hour, both frustrated about the loss.
Finally, my Dad broke the silence.
"Zach," he said, "Do you remember Elway, all the times he beat us, ever acting like that?"
"No," I said.
"Marino, Esiason, Moon, anyone?"
"No."
All were quarterbacks who had at one time or another frustrated us, and none had ever rubbed it in our face like that.
The point is, Elway had every right to be an arrogant jerk, and never really was. I hated to see him break our hearts, but I couldn't say anything bad about the way he handled himself on the field.
Enjoy the day John, you deserve it.
-Barry Sanders was the best running back in my lifetime. I used to be the Lions in Tecmo Super Bowl, just to run the unbeatable side sweep. He retired at 31, and I can't blame him. I just miss watching him run. He was the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home