Monday, June 07, 2004

Reagan
-The death of Ronald Reagan is still all over the news. In the midst of the sadness,I would be willing to bet that those closest to him are in some way relieved to see his long, painful journey end. Reagan's death is just a fade to black. His legacy will live forever.
I am still debating a column on the topic for 210 west. The thing that keeps coming back to me is the influence that Reagan had on the country. He took hard stands, but as John Kerry said "did it with a smile." I think that's why many, even those who didn't agree with him, are now commending his ability to communicate and his ability to lead.
The other thing I'd like to write about is the fact that as a child, Reagan seemed larger than life, a man who was the leader of the country, no questions asked.
No president since has held that for me, even the one that sits in the White House today, once that I am often the public defender for at work.
I think Reagan brought with him the aura of leadership, something that I'm not sure existed because of my youth, or rather because of his resonance.
Or maybe I am over-thinking this.
I usually try to approach my political commentaries with an objective tone. I am not sure I can maintain one with this, which is why I hesitate to write it.
But somehow I know I will. It's what I do I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home